Capa Cycling Team's Leia Tyrrell continued her winning streak Monday night at PIR, taking her fourth consecutive Senior Women's race in the series. The streak easily earned Tyrrell the June overall prize and now puts her in the lead for the July series.
The Capa Cycling Team rider finished ahead of a trio of Ironclad Performance Wear riders, Anna Clark, Deann Krill and Lana Pressey. Bridgetown Velo's Jenn levo was fifth.
The Masters Men 1/2/3 field got a break with June series winner Christian Tresser, the Cyclepath Racing Team sprint specialist, absent from the Monday race. Veloce/Felt's Dan Quirk capitalized to take the first win of July in front of David Hopper (NoMad Sports Club), Kent Johnson (Fred Meyer/Lakeside Cycling Team), John Mitchem (Guinness Cycling Team) and Dickie Mallison (Mellow Johnny's Bike Shop).
Two-time Olympian Bob Mionske joined the Masters 1/2/3 field, finishing 11th. Mionske represented the U.S. in the 1988 games in Seoul, South Korea, where he made the winning break in the Men’s Individual Road Race, finishing in fourth place. In 1990, Mionske was the U.S. National Champion in the Men’s road race. Mionske made the United States Olympic team again for the 1992 games in Barcelona, Spain, assisting teammate Lance Armstrong to a 14th-place finish. Mionske turned pro after the 1992 games, racing for Saturn for one season.
River City Bicycles Monday Night Race Series
Portland International Raceway, July 6
1. Lewis, Leigh 15
2. Kennedy, Ann (Team Guinness) 12
3. Bruening, Joy 10
1. Pickel, Sean 15
2. Sundberg, Kevin (Showers Pass) 12
3. Echerer, Brian (Butts on Bikes) 10
Masters Men 4/5
1. Smith, Chad (Team Oakland) 18
2. Hemming, David (Rapha Racing) 14
3. Anderson, Eric (Pacific Power Blue Sky) 10
1. Tyrrell, Leia (CAPA Cycling Team) 18
2. Clark, Anna (Ironclad Performance Wear) 15
3. Krill, Deann (Ironclad Performance Wear) 10
4. Pressey, Lana (Ironclad Performance Wear) 10
5. Levo, Jenn (Bridgetown Velo) 10
Masters Men 1/2/3
1. Quirk, Dan (Veloce/Felt 24
2. Hopper, David NoMad Sports Club) 15
3. Johnston, Kent (Fred Meyer/Lakeside Cycling Team) 10
4. Mitchem, John (Guinness Cycling Team) 9
5. Mallison, Dickie (Mellow Johnny's Bike Shop) 7