The competition in the 2009 Veloforma Norman Babcock Cat 4 Women's Series presented by Garmin will be heating up in the High Desert Road Race at this week's omnium in Bend.
With six of 10 races in the books, Poplollies' Kalli Phillips leads the competition with 236 points. Hammer Velo's Alice Chang follows just 22 points behind at 214, and her teammate Lindsay Kandra sits third at 160.
The series honors the late Norman Babcock, of Eugene, a strong supporter of women's cycling who passed away in 2008. It features 10 events in various road racing disciplines during the 2009 season with a goal of offering women opportunities and encouragement to try various kinds of road racing.
The top overall finisher in the race series will win a new Veloforma women's road frame, while the second-place finisher will take home a Garmin EDGE 705. Other prizes will be provided by Ironclad, Bob's Red Mill, Luna and others.
(After six races)
1. Kalli Phillips (Poplollies) 236
2. Alice Chang (Hammer Velo) 214
3. Lindsay Kandra (Hammer Velo) 160
4. Anna Vaughn (Hammer Velo) 146
5. Leia Tyrrell (CAPA Cycling Team) 128
6. Lisa Reeve 116
7. Elena Larson (Therapeutic Associates Cycling/GENR8) 110
8. Rachel Hoar 100
9. Madison MacKenzie 100
10. Lindsay Fox (Team Oregon) 100
Complete OBRA results are HERE.
REMAINING SERIES RACES
July 12 / High Desert Road Race (Bend)
July 18 / Vancouver Criterium (Vancouver, WA)
Aug. 15 / OBRA Criterium Championships (Albany)
Aug. 28-30 / Eugene Celebration Stage Race - Final GC (Eugene)
The top 10 finishers at each event receive series points, following this scale:
* 1st=100 * 2nd=70 * 3rd=50 * 4th=40 * 5th=36 * 6th=32 * 7th=28 * 8th=24 * 9th=20 *10th=16