Saturday, October 3, 2009

Bjesse-Puffin medals at collegiate nationals

Local rider Amelia Bjesse-Puffin earned two podium spots last week at USA Cycling's Collegiate Track Nationals in Trexlertown, Pennsylvania.

After a grueling match with some of the nation's best, Bjesse-Puffin (Portland State University) walked away with a Bronze medal in the Womens 500m event and a Silver in the Womens Sprint.

"I didn't go to collegiates last year because I wasn't fast enough," said the PSU senior. "I wasn't going to go and waste everyone's time and money when I knew I'd be little more than pack fodder. This year I did, however, beat both of last year's returning medalists in the 500 meter, resoundingly."

Bjesse-Puffin, who can often be found sporting the BRIHOP jersey on the banks of Alpenrose Velodrome in southwest Portland, said the results are the best of any national-level competition she's done.

"I'd like to think I made PSU rec club proud," she said. "I work so hard all year, it's nice to see it pay off. We are in the gym or doing bike workouts six days a week."

"I would have liked to win a national jersey," she added. "But the girl who did is an excellent racer and I just wasn't as fast as her this year. But I'm always getting faster, which I owe in no small way to my coach, Brian Abers."

RESULTS
USA Cycling Collegiate Track National Championships
September 24-26, 2009
Trexlertown, Pa.


Women’s Sprint
1. Colleen Hayduk (Kutztown University)
2. Amelia Bjesse-Puffin (Portland State University)
3. Stephanie Torres (Bard College)
4. Lauren Shirock (Penn State)
5. Elena Dorr (Illinois Institute of Technology)

Women's 500m
1. Colleen Hayduk (Kutztown University)
2. Mary Costelloe (Kutztown University)
3. Amelia Bjesse-Puffin (Portland State University)
4. Sierra Siebenlist (Marian College)
5. Elena Dorr (Illinois Institute of Technology)

(Submitted by PSU Cycling Team / courtesy photo)