Wednesday, September 30, 2009
Cameron scores on first Blind Date attempt; Veloforma's Pennington cruises to second win
Molly Cameron notched a win Wednesday night in the Men's A race of the Blind Date at the Dairy cyclocross race at Alpenrose Velodrome. Portland's Alice Pennington cruised to her second straight victory in the Women's A race. The win marks the Veloforma rider's third cyclocross win in as many starts.
Cameron (Portland Bicycle Studio) opened a gap early in the race with week-one winner Joshua Berry (BODE) and Veloshop's Steven Hunter. The trio flew over the course together for the majority of the race, setting consistent lap times before Cameron and Berry started to ride away from their lead-trio companion.
When Hunter continued to lag behind with about 20 minutes of racing reamaining, it looked like the finale would boil down to a battle between Cameron and Berry. But Cameron held the lucky hand Wednesday night when Berry flatted in the closing laps. The BODE rider maneuvered his bicycle to the pit and grabbed a spare bike, but Cameron was long gone. Berry was able to hold onto his second place spot. Hunter held off a late race charge to take third.
UPDATE: The complete Oregon Cycling Action photo gallery for this race is now posted online HERE.
Blind Date at the Dairy
Portland, Sept. 30
1. Cameron, Molly (Portland Bicycle Studio) 13
2. Berry, Joshua (BODE) 13
3. Hunter, Steven (Veloshop) 13
4. Yeater, Davy (River City Bicycles) 13
5. Schulz, Erik (Specialized/River City) 13
1. Pennington, Alice (Veloforma) 12
2. Bagely, Rachel (Motordome/Ira Ryan Cycles) 11
3. Schweitzer, Jennifer 11
4. Love, Christy (Team S&M) 11
5. Brown, Audrey (Team S&M) 11
1. Gilmore, Leland (River City Bicycles) 9
2. Criss, Alexander (River City Bicycles) 9
3. Patla, Seth (River City Bicycles) 9
4. Ehmke, Larry (Grundelbruisers) 9
5. Weaver, Ryan (River City Bicycles) 9
Complete OBRA results are HERE.