Thursday, December 18, 2008

Cyclo "Right" Cross, Followed By An Upper Cut

I've gotta admit, when I first read the following on Todd Wells' blog post about the U.S. National Cyclocross Championships in Kansas City, I thought maybe it was a joke:
"Hear that Myerson and Baker got in a fist fight out on the course. Didn't get to see it but I heard it happened right in front of Proctor and Gully. Saw Page's mechanic get jumped by two guys right after the race and punched in the face multiple times after being tackled on a bunch of Richard Sachs bikes."
But then I read the same damn thing on VeloNews.com, which posted a photo of the scuffle. And apparently there's video coming. And Richard Sachs is threatening a lawsuit. Oh my!

This should certainly help endear the sport to a more mainstream American audience. I foresee a big fat broadcasting deal with Versus next year. They love this kind of thing on that network. Mixed Martial Arts Cyclocross ... ... hmmmmm!