Monday, August 10, 2009
Swan wins men's Gresham Criterium Sunday; Reeve takes women's race
PHOTO: Chris Swan, Omer Kem and Chris Hamilton formed the day's winning break.
GRESHAM -- Two days after being forced to the curb on the last corner of the last lap and crashing out of the lead group at the Portland Twilight Criterium, Team Oregon's Chris Swan got some revenge Sunday in Gresham.
In a race characterized by constant attacking from the first corner, Swan joined Rapha Racing's Chris Hamilton and Bissell's Omer Kem in the day's winning move and easily crossed the line ahead of his two breakaway companions.
Steven Beardsley (Gentle Lovers), third at the Twilight Criterium, was active in breakaways and chasing down other escapees, but his early efforts may have zapped his finishing kick as the sprint specialist had to settle for eighth.
Hammer/CMG's Marcel de Lisser and Austin Arguello, winnner of the Cat 2 Awbrey Butte stage of the Cascade Stage Race in Bend, were also active early in the race but missed the winning move and were stuck in a group that lacked the horsepower to pull back the leaders, who were working so well together they agreed to split primes rather than contest them and interrupt their cooperation.
That cooperation led to a one-in-three chance for each, with Swan kicking past Hamilton, and Kem coasting across the line a handful of seconds later. Team Type 1's Jeff Bannink soloed away from the group int he closing laps for fourth. Aaron Johnson (Hagens-Berman) won the field sprint for fifth.
Relative newcomer Lisa Reeve won the Senior Women's race ahead of Therapeutic Associates Cycling/GENR8 riders Pam Archer and Karey Miles. Jacqueline Cohen (Therapeutic Associates Cycling/GENR8) was fourth, with Jan Moss (Team Group Health) in fifth.
Sunday, Aug. 9
1. Strasser, Ron (Team S&M)
2. Skerritt, Shannon (Vanilla Bicycles)
1. Mcdade, Hannah (Beaverton Bicycle Club)
2. Webb, Emerson (Beaverton Bicycle Club)
1. Wait-Molyneux, Colby (North River Racing)
2. Bowden, Zach (Fred Meyer/Lakeside)
3. Roberts, Justin
Men Cat 5
1. Scholl, Brian (Life Cycle Bike Shop)
2. Johnson, Shane (Trinity Bikes)
3. Clemens, Alexander (Cyclepath)
Men Cat 4
1. Garbellano, Jeremy (Life Cycle Bike Shop)
2. Ballantine, Jeff (Portland Velo)
3. Carder, George (Team Beer)
Men Cat 3
1. Spahr, Trevor (Ironclad Performance Wear)
2. Word, Randy (Word-RCB)
3. Reinhart, Eric (bicycleattorney.com)
Masters 35+ 4/5
1. Green, Geoffrey (Capitol Velo)
2. Scholl, Brian (Life Cycle Bike Shop)
3. Duke, James (Wheelworks)
Masters 35+ 1/2/3
1. Steger, Mark (Nike)
2. Stallings, Derek (Therapeutic Associates Cycling/GENR8)
3. Schwaeber, Steve (Veloce/Felt)
Women Cat 4
1. Osborn, Maire (Life Cycle Bike Shop)
2. Chang, Alice (Hammer Velo)
3. Krill, Deann (Ironclad Performance Wear)
1. Reeve, Lisa
2. Archer, Pamela (Therapeutic Associates Cycling/GENR8)
3. Miles, Karey (Therapeutic Associates Cycling/GENR8)
4. Cohen, Jacqueline (Therapeutic Associates Cycling/GENR8)
5. Moss, Jan (Team Group Health)
1. Swan, Chris (Team Oregon)
2. Hamilton, Chris (Rapha Racing)
3. Kem, Omer (Bissell Pro Cycling Team)
4. Bannink, Jeff (Team Type 1)
5. Johnson, Aaron (Hagens-Berman LLP Cycling)
Complete OBRA results are HERE.