Friday, July 17, 2009
Browning, Butler wrap up Mt. Tabor series overall victories
John Browning's incredible run at Mt. tabor concluded Wednesday night with overall wins in both the Masters and Senior Men fields. The Cyclepath Racing rider took the top podium spot in each of his five Masters races and never finished off the podium in the Senior races, which are run later in the same evening.
Browning cashed in on double points for his third-place finish in the July 15 Senior Men's race to take the overall prize in the six-week series. With series leader Austin Arguello (Hammer/CMG Racing Team) racing in Kentucky and second-placed rider Steven Beardsley coming in eighth after a last-lap crash shook up the finish, Browning clinched the series title by finishing behind Jimmy Udall and Tyler Green (River City Bicycles). Beardsley also raced earlier in the night in the fixed gear category, where he made a starting-line breakaway and stayed away from the pack until Walton Brush (River City Bicycles) and the rest came rushing by a few yards from the finish line.
While circumstances allowed Browning the opportunity to put on the Senior Men's series crown, his Masters Men win was never in doubt. After missing the first week, Browning won five consecutive races, often breaking away with others and then shedding his escape companions one by one before the finish.
In the Senior Women's race, Sue Butler also capitalized on the July 15 double series points to leap from third overall to first. The Monavie-Cannondale rider flew away from the group and rode across the line alone to earn maximum points. Recently upgraded cat 3 Lisa Reeve finished second in the finale, but the third-placed ride by Hammer Velo's Sam Yeo was enough to reserve a second-place overall finish behind Butler. Kaytee Petross (Portland Velo) who started the final race seated third overall, placed eighth July 15 and hung onto her series placing.
(Overall series scores are based on the best-five-of-six finishes).
Mt. Tabor Wednesday Night Series
1. Brush, Walton (River City Bicycles) 470.0
2. Hofland, Erik (Artisan Family Racing) 282.0
3. Guernsey, Ben 192.0
Cat 5 Men
1. Seward, Ryan (CAPA Cycling Team) 420.0
2. Case, Steven 204.0
3. Grant, Michael 181.0
Cat 4 Women
1. Fletcher, Sara (Bridgetown Velo) 328.0
2. Reeve, Lisa 320.0
3. Vaughn, Anna (Hammer Velo) 310.0
Cat 4 Men
1. Bedford, Stephen (Word-RCB) 390.0
2. Weber, Johannes (Ironclad Performance Wear) 226.0
3. Zack, George (Beaverton Bicycle Club) 200.0
Cat 3 Men
1. Liverman, Ryan (Veloce/Felt) 470.0
2. Hansen, Jake (Word-RCB) 260.0
3. Brush, Walton (River City Bicycles)244.0
1. Bothe, Elaine (Sorella Forte) 480.0
2. Leitheiser, Ann (Cyclepath Racing) 270.0
3. Kennedy, Ann (Team Guiness) 266.0
1. Browning, John (Cyclepath Racing) 600.0
2. Haverty, Chris (Bridgetown Velo) 344.0
3. Mitchem, John (Guinness Cycling Team) 268.0
1. Butler, Sue (Monavie-Cannondale.com) 400.0
2. Yeo, Sam (Hammer Velo) 318.0
3. Petross, Kaytee (Portland Velo) 256.0
1. Browning, John (Cyclepath Racing) 298.0
2. Beardsley, Steven (Gentle Lovers)284.0
3. Arguello, Austin (Hammer/CMG Racing Team) 260.0